Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Our Call to Love


"Men are called to act as Christ acted for the Church. Women are called to act as the Church acts for Christ. What do we have, then?

Men-called to sacrifice, leadership, headship, assertiveness, chivalry, love and respect of womanhood and all women, willingness to give up their whole lives for their wives, teaching their children and others in the way of faith in a paternalistic role (giving the faith and outlining it), humility (in order to lead properly and not lord it over), willingness never to let the wife fall, etc.

Women-called to love, humility (in order to follow and trust), trust, hope, willingness never to give up (as the Church persists), comforting, nurturing, ever-faithful, disciplining, caring for spiritual children by supporting and preserving the faith in them, overing herself completely over to the husband (so that she may all the more receive him, who must offer the same to her), etc."


I read this on the Phatmass forum today, and it really kind of got to me. I think it's something I rarely take into account, the fact that in all my tomboyishness my vocation is to be the female that I was created as. Interesting. Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

At September 07, 2005 11:51 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Erin being a tomboy doesn't interfere with any of those womanly roles. I don't think you really have much to worry about. Bah, you're lucky I don't kick people when they're down (or sick) cause I had a darn funny comment (though I'm sure you can figure out what it was about).

 
At September 08, 2005 8:26 AM, Blogger Erin Marie Hall said...

lol you should have said it, it would've perked me up.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I was just making an observation. Some people think that it's aproblem for women to act like men; independent, paying for things, opening doors for themselves, etc.

 
At September 08, 2005 4:37 PM, Blogger Erin Marie Hall said...

Yeah that's way hard. My struggles are with humility and the chivalry thing. As much as I absolutely loooove chivalry, I sometimes have a hard time accepting it graciously (usually because I don't know if it's genuine). I sometimes attempt to avoid things like that by trying to pay for my own stuff, open doors for myself, etc. My pride makes me want to strive for independence, so it really is humbling when guys want to do things like that for me. I know a few who are actually almost offended when girls don't let them do things for them, and I think it's one of the coolest things ever. It's also neat to think that I can look to the Church as my example of the perfect Bride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home